Tradewind Forums

Full Version: FSX and Windows 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gentlemen, I just did a Windows upgrade check of my Win7 Pro 64 bit system to Windows 8. The return list of what works and what doesn't didn't show anything about flight simulator or addons. Does anyone have experience with this upgrade? If so, how did it go for you?

I'm running an AMD 955 3.2 gHz 4 core processor, 8 gig of RAM, Nvidia 470gtx video and all the bells and whistles I can stuff into FSX. It works perfectly on my present system. So why upgrade? Good question. It looks like Microsoft is quickly trying to end life with Windows 7 and get the world onto Windows 8. My guess is to get more people who use tablets, notebooks, and smart phones using Windows as well.

I stuck with XP for 12 years and now with Windows 7 only a little over 1 year in my pc I'm not 100% sure about another upgrade. Perhaps you can sway me to one side of the fence or the other?

Thanks,
Rick
Hi Rick,

haven't got news of anyone I know that went to Win8 for FSX.
I will stick to my Win7-64 for the time coming... stable system and my motto is... "if it ain't broken don't fix it" :-)
Win8 looks a bit of a too drastic change for me at the moment.
Stefaan,
You are 100% right about 'If it aint broke. . . ' So far in all the reading I've done at Microsoft, there doesn't appear to be any significant reason to upgrade. Just a lot of hype about being able to use a gazillion aps (which I don't use now). Until I hear something different, I believe I'll just stick to my wonderfully working system. Thanks!
Wise Choice I think Rick,

Heared from some guys at work that had to have Win8 because it's new and Hype like you say, but now I also start to pick up from them that some stuff don't work etc...
One of "m already switched back to Win7... so I'll also stick with it for the time coming.

Greets
Stefaan,
Since I made this post I had a brush with Microsoft. My wife's laptop, newly upgraded to Win7, decided to not accept the activation. I finally contacted M$ about the problem and was pleasantly surprised with the visit. I spent the better portion of 4 hours with a technician in India. He was incredibly helpful, walking me though areas of Win7 that I didn't know were there until finally the system allowed me to insert the OEM disk and reinstall the OS. Like XP this reinstall actually repaired the fault and the OS was fixed.

During our conversation I asked him about Win8. He said that in his opinion and the opinion of several other techs working with him, XP is the king of OS systems still and that Win7 looks to take it's place as a superior OS. He said that at this point Win8 has too many flaws that may or may not be fixed with SP updates. He hinted that another Windows OS may be in the back corners and will appear in a year or two to correct this situation.

So I'm staying with my Win7 install and loving it. I find that its certainly an upgrade from XP and I'm not missing the old OS in any way. On the shelves at stores are only computers with Win8. You can't find Win7 except through online sources. I'm buying a couple spare disks to use on future machines to hedge against M$ taking Win7 totally off the market and forcing us to only use Win8.

RickThumbup
Good decision Rick Yahoo

going to get me some reserve too, planning for an extra notebook ;-)