Tradewind Forums
Flight1 ATR-72 - Printable Version

+- Tradewind Forums (https://www.tradewind.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tradewind Forums (https://www.tradewind.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: How to - Where to ? (https://www.tradewind.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Flight1 ATR-72 (/showthread.php?tid=51)

Flight1 ATR-72 - swalker - 01-19-2008

Hi, Crew:
I just bought the Flight1 ART-72, since I saw we had a texture in our livery. I can't believe how complicated this thing is. I've gone through the PMDG 737 and the LevelD 767, and this is way more complicated. Maybe not complicated so much as a very high learning curve. The manual is almost 500 pages.
I downloaded an explanation on how to calculate takeoff and landing data, and that went of for pages. One of the calculations included cosign. I haven't even seen that since high school [many eons ago] and can't even remember how it works.
Is this plane worth the hassle?
Scott

RE: Flight1 ATR-72 - Mike Juliet - 01-20-2008

swalker Wrote:Hi, Crew:
I just bought the Flight1 ART-72, since I saw we had a texture in our livery. I can't believe how complicated this thing is. I've gone through the PMDG 737 and the LevelD 767, and this is way more complicated. Maybe not complicated so much as a very high learning curve. The manual is almost 500 pages.
I downloaded an explanation on how to calculate takeoff and landing data, and that went of for pages. One of the calculations included cosign. I haven't even seen that since high school [many eons ago] and can't even remember how it works.
Scott

Hi Scott,

being used to the Boeings you propably have to become familiar with the "Airbus-philosophy" the ATR is actually based on.

What is your problem in detail - my last ATR-Flight is a while ago but perhaps I can help.

RE: Flight1 ATR-72 - swalker - 01-20-2008

Mike Juliet Wrote:
swalker Wrote:Hi, Crew:
Scott

Hi Scott,

Hi, Mike:
I just wanted to know if this plane is worth reading and absorbing a 481-page manual, and what appears to be an unbelievably complex set of calculations for takeoff and landing. I posted this on the Yahoo email site and some of the lads say it's an extremely steep learning curve, but ultimately worth the work. So I'll press on.
Cheers,

being used to the Boeings you propably have to become familiar with the "Airbus-philosophy" the ATR is actually based on.

What is your problem in detail - my last ATR-Flight is a while ago but perhaps I can help.

RE: Flight1 ATR-72 - Pilot2741 - 07-25-2008

Hi everybody,

There is a really great site to learn to fly the Flight One ATR.
You can find video modules in the simulated cockpit describing all steps of the procedure, including the FMC. The only negative point is that the site and video voice is in french...
Here is the link:
http://cyril-murat.fr/atr_academy.aspx

May be it will go faster to learn the procedure by yourself than learning french :-). But anyway, watching the video with the procedure switching is very interesting.

Friendly Regards,

Sylvain

RE: Flight1 ATR-72 - Rick Abshier - 08-01-2008

This is great aircraft and they did a great job developing it. However, I have to admit that, while I've been able to take off, fly around a bit, and land it, I've never had the time or patience to really master the thing in order to make a real flight!

RE: Flight1 ATR-72 - jwenting - 08-03-2008

It's not that hard really.
Only took me from the time it was in beta (I was involved in the beta program) to about last month to get really comfortable with it :)