Tradewind Forums

Full Version: Goodbye FSX hello old friend FS2004
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings,

With the recent turn of events at Microsoft, I have completly removed FSX and re-installed FS2004.

I have a much more powerful computer now, a quad core, and it flew FSX adaquately, but it flys FS2004 a whole lot better....... I have all the sliders maxed out and it doesn't faze it.

I noticed also that I used to fly a lot more when I had FS2004 installed and it had a great bunch of add-ons available, where-as FSX is still developing add-ons, its just didn't seem to have the same bang for me as FS2004 did!

So I also noticed TCA was more or less sticking with the tried and true FS2004, so there is my comment/experience, anyone care to add their two cents?

Gary-TCA3151
I second that , 100%. Add to your points that many of the "made for FSX" labelled add-ons are not quite stable (most likely due to M$ abandonment of developing DirectX 10 fully) , FS9/2004 is the better choice. The internal structure is more transparent, hence errors more easily dixed, and it also - imo - offers more opportunities for tweaking/tuning.

Cheers
Karl

nukefixer Wrote:Greetings,

With the recent turn of events at Microsoft, I have completly removed FSX and re-installed FS2004.

I have a much more powerful computer now, a quad core, and it flew FSX adaquately, but it flys FS2004 a whole lot better....... I have all the sliders maxed out and it doesn't faze it.

I noticed also that I used to fly a lot more when I had FS2004 installed and it had a great bunch of add-ons available, where-as FSX is still developing add-ons, its just didn't seem to have the same bang for me as FS2004 did!

So I also noticed TCA was more or less sticking with the tried and true FS2004, so there is my comment/experience, anyone care to add their two cents?

Gary-TCA3151
Same for me, had FSX installed at a certain moment in time, but after i got my newly oiled rig I only installed FS2004 for the same obvious reasons.
Great performance with everything maxed out including AI.

Will stick with this cause what I missed at FSX is the lack of nice looking scenery for most of the places I visited.

STefaan#2050

nukefixer Wrote:Greetings,

Gary-TCA3151
Hey guys,

you are all speaking out of my mind! :P
I have also bought a new computer (Dual Core) about half a year ago and I never really thought of buying FSX, so I also stick with FS9 for probably a long time to come.
If you have a look at the recently released sceneries for FS9 (especially in teh freeware sector) there is no need to move on (on my side). Last week we had a very good MP Session again and for all airports we had excellent sceneries available (SOCA, TBPB and SVMI).

I think it will take a considerable time for FSX to get such great sceneries for free in that quality, but on the other hand I can not really compare it. But if you look at Avsim every day how much files are still uploaded for FS9, bearing in mind, that FSX is almost out for 2 (two) years that is amazing and almost speakes for itself.

Ok, for all you out there flying FSX since almost the first day, I don't want to make front against you. There will be most likely sceneries, aircrafts and whatever released in the future and these will be really great and of course they will be demanding to your hardware, but hardware is also making progress, so one day you and maybe even I will be in the position to fly FSX with everything maxed out... never say never! :D

There are mainly two reasons why I have not bought FSX:
1. Every new version ran on my previous system (although you have to upgrade as usual), but FSX was a disaster. I only had the demo installed once. It was a disaster on my system and it was not the badest at this time and I really expected more...
2. I had so much add-ons, especailly payware, that I didn't want to miss again. And I wasn't in the mood for buying them all again for FSX, which among the graphics didn't have any improvement. Who needs eye-candy stuff if the flight dynamics are almost the (bad) same? Me not!

Well, let me count, I think these were already my 10 cents worth. :DCool
It's true that there are a lot of addons for FS9 and it is still a good sim but, I have to disagree with you guys, the graphics in FSX are far superior and if you have a PC that can run FSX well and you give it a chance, I think you will find you start flying FSX more often. I have both sims on my PC and I fly them both but I usually only pick FS9 for better addon scenery or a specific aircraft. What wiil kill FS9 is the development of addons for only FSX and that has already begun with a number of the new addons. I hope they both "live" for a long time but I wonder with the closing of the ACES studio if the clock has begun to tick on both of them.
I'm hoping for the reverse, actually.

The clock was always ticking on every version of FS, because there was always a new version on the horizon. Just as you got up to speed with one version (developers - including here at TCA - had finally made the planes and scenery you wanted, version specific addons of traffic, environment mods, panel design programs etc etc etc had been released, debugged, and you'd learned how to use them, and the cost of a computer that could run it all had finally dropped to something reasonable) there would be amother coming along and the cycle started again. I don't think I ever got fs98, 2000 or 2002 quite as I liked them, and the only reason FS9 is at about the stage I'm happy with it now is because I haven't upgraded to FSX yet.

But now, with the closing of ACES, there isn't goingto be an FSXI for the forseeable future, and so all the genius that goes into developing addons and tweaks will be concentrated on FS9 and FSX (of course, it will increasingly be on FSX). The developer's won't jump ship to FSXI just because it's there, so the development of FSX addons can continue. Freeware developers will have no reason to stop improving things, and payware developers will only stop when people aren't buying any new stuff - either because they've already made all the scenery, planes and utilities that anyone would ever buy, or because a different simulator has superseded FS and the market for yet another 747 model opens up again.

But before that happens, the clever clever people who put so much effort into making super-realistic boeings and airbuses might have to turn their attention to some less common aircraft. Who knows, in time we might see really good FSX payware versions of some of the underrated planes out there.

And at the same time, the cost of a rig that can actually run all this is coming down and down. Before too long the majority of simmers will be able to afford to run FSX with the sliders all the way over, without worrying about having to upgrade for FSXI.

People aren't going to want to stop simming, so for FSX the clock will only start ticking again when something better comes along. So, whilst it's a genuine shame that ACES has closed, and of course in the more medium term I'm sure we all want to see FS technology improving and improving, for now this interruption has given FSX a chance to really blossom.

[edit - Oh, and 'Hi' by the way...]
FSX is so unpredictable. Even with the "tweeks" it seems to "Rob
Peter to pay Paul". Could never achieve a smooth game play no
matter what I did. My system is pretty stout but it CTD and blue
screened me twice so I shelved it. Still have it though in hopes
that bored laid off developers might tune it up and make it run
like FS9. And it could be called FSX.1updtd......be nice!