Tradewind Forums

Full Version: Straw-15 Bell 412
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys.

After awakening, having a good shower and an even better breakfast we headed over to the MDSA (Mobile Dispatch & Support Aircraft), an old Boeing 727-100 in United Airlines colors from around 1971, which is parked at the end of the west apron. This aircraft is piloted by Sandy, who has many tasks during this year of the Iditarod. He maybe want to describe his tasks to you in a later reply to this flight report. Clapping

Ok, he assigned Straw-15 to us, which means we have to deliver 15 bales of straw to Nulato (NUL) airfield. Nulato would be about 15 minutes away with our Bell 412 in almost runway heading of RWY 25 at Galena. We planned for a 11 o'clock departure (20:00 Zulu), but during this time the US Air Force had some activity going on over the airport and so we delayed the flight for about 45 minutes. At least 2 F-16D's from Eielson AFB were practicing some touch and goes and approaches.
Here one of the F-16's (Callsign Moose 11) during what supposed to be was a low approach.
[attachment=1136]
[attachment=1137]
[attachment=1138]

As Moose 11 was turning to the left after approach, Moose 12 turned to the right. At least we had very good weather conditions so we were able to see the F-16's maneuver over Galena.
[attachment=1139]
[attachment=1140]
[attachment=1141]

Then at 11:44 local time we prepared for departure.
[attachment=1142]

A quick look to the right to the MDSA on the apron next to us, but in some distance though.
[attachment=1143]

We are ready to go.
[attachment=1144]

We left Galena behind and headed to Nulato. Of course we could make an IFR flight of this flight, but we opted for a more straight flight path - ah, and of course IFR stands for 'I Follow River' this time.BiggrinRoflblack1
[attachment=1145]

After 13 minutes after departure we already have a good visual on Nulato airfield although we are still 4 NM out.
[attachment=1146]

Now we are almost on final to the landing spot which will be on the apron of course.
[attachment=1147]

Here we are with a little tailwind, but we opted for this type of landing to keep the tail rotor clear, as everybody would have been behind us then. We needed 16 minutes to get from Galena to Nulato.
[attachment=1148]

After about 18 minutes on the ground we headed back to Galena still in very good weather. I have to admit that the weather this year is almost perfect for flying if we don't pay too much attention on the flights from McGrath to Takotna and OphirStongue
[attachment=1149]
[attachment=1150]

There we are again. Offset approach to Galena RWY 07 as we are still tracking the VOR 068 Radial.
[attachment=1151]

Over the apron already. Sandy asked me to bring the Bell down onto the apron right - sorry - left next to the MDSA. It was my pleasure ( what else should I say now?Biggrin) to comply to his 'order'.
[attachment=1152]
[attachment=1153]

The return flight lasted 15 minutes giving us a total flying time of 31 minutes for this flight. And as there are no further assignments for me it also seems that we can do a post flight inspection on the Bell.

I have attached the traffic file and the also needed files for the B721 to show up in your sim as well as long you use FS9 - although it might work in FSX as well, but I don't know.
Hi Christian,
Nice! and thanks for the traffic file.
C-ya at MP
TCA2050 Wrote:Hi Christian,
Nice! and thanks for the traffic file.
C-ya at MP

Hi Stefaan.

Yes, we will meet during the MP Session. The countdown is onBiggrin
Hi guys.

I noticed on the Yahoogroups that Sandy will leave Galena today and head to Unalakleet. So I did change the traffic-bgl to an actual one. You simply have to replace the original one, that's all. According to my flightplan Sandy will depart at 02:00 UTC on Sunday (still Saturday in Alaska).

I have updated the new file to the new departure time that Sandy posted in his post below, so if you have downloaded the file before January 30, 22:30 UTC, please download it again.
Nice report and shots Christian, I'll try Sandy's 727 in FSX to see if it works, I'll tell you the results
Nice shots Christian. I will try and depart at 2300Z and head for Unk. Looks like I will have 10-knots of crosswind, planning a procedure turn from UNK VOR to intercept the offset localizer.
aguiar Wrote:Nice report and shots Christian, I'll try Sandy's 727 in FSX to see if it works, I'll tell you the results

Well, Chico, I think the B727 should work as World of AI still uses them for AI Traffic in FSX as well. Only the AFCAD might need a little fine tuning, but you can do that on your own. Have you heard of Airport Design Editor before? With this program you can edit stock airports in FSX and FS9.That is really great. Some things I still do with AFCAD2, but some things I already do with ADE as you can also delete default abjects, move generic objects and many things more. You can also place library objects. Ah, and you can edit/add/delete taxiway signs.