Tradewind Forums

Full Version: TCA Alaska Extreme Tour Day-2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After spending a good deal of the night at the Board of Trade Saloon, we agreed to leave Nome around 09.00 local time.

So after a good breakfast and under cold but clear skies, off we went for the first leg of this trip back to Merrill Field.
Leaving Nome, climbing to 7500 ft.
[attachment=1310]

Enroute we were overflying some more Iditarod checkpoints as Elim (ELI)...
[attachment=1311]

Koyuk...
[attachment=1312]

and then off to Mc Grath for a potty break Biggrin
Downwind leg to RWY 34 at PAMC.
[attachment=1313]

and final approach after about 1 hour and 50 minutes of flying.
[attachment=1314]

This was rather a short stop since we were expected at Rainy Pass Lodge for lunch, so quickly off again from RWY 34 since we were all getting hungry...
[attachment=1315]

Enroute we passed the Rohn checkpoint, well known for it's very unique cabin.
[attachment=1316]

Upon clearing the mountains, we descended in the valley on the lookout for Rainy Pass.
[attachment=1317]

The Kodiak flies great under FSX, and it's a joy to manually climb and descent to/from cruise as wel as guiding her through the valleys.
Trims nicely, a very rewarding aircraft.

A bit further in the valley, visibility dropped, but we were able to find the Lodge and the accompanying strip.
[attachment=1318]

[attachment=1319]

Looks like a rather short strip...
[attachment=1320]

but we managed to stop the Kodiak around halfway ... a credit to her STOL capabilities
[attachment=1321]

We were enjoying some 1/4-pound Mooseburgers for lunch along with some booze, off course... no booze for me... yet...
After lunch the passengers took the time to enjoy the scenery and take some pictures before we left for our final destination, and the end of the 2-day trip, Merrill Field.
[attachment=1322]

[attachment=1323]

So the final leg was a direct to Merril Field cruising at 7500 ft again.
Leaving Rainy Pass (6AK), surely knowing I'd return later when I had a chance to spend the night so I could fully enjoy some of their Booze with the Mooseburgers...
[attachment=1324]

Closing in on Merrill, more cloud cover came along and even some precipitation here and there.
Luckily we made it back before it got any worse and after about 38 minutes of flight we were on final approach to RWY 07
[attachment=1325]

So all the passengers made it safely back to our TCAA terminal at Merrill Field.
And I..... I was rewarded with a good tip ...
[attachment=1326]

The End.
Hey Stefaan.

Nice pictures and again a nicely written report. Thanks for sharing.
Nice shots Stefaan. Thumbup