Tradewind Forums

Full Version: TWL0208-11 Leg 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Pär asked me yesterday during the MP Session to take some screenshots of Hong Kong Kai Tak as I will fly to this airport instead of the new Chek Lap Kok airport.

Well the cargo dispatch for February let us fly from Tahiti to Hong Kong with a load of fruits. I am using the MD-11F for all of these flights. As the load of nearly 145800 lbs of freight prevented us from going to Hong Kong on just one leg I had to divide it into two legs. So I opted for a fuel stop on Guam.
I didn't take any pictures of this flight, but I took some pictures of the second leg from Guam to Hong Kong Kai Tak (VHHX).
With a ZFW of 394367 lbs we would need about 105000 lbs of fuel for the flight, which would last, according to the flightplan, 4 hours and 16 minutes. We assumed about 1600 lbs for taxi to the runway 06L and this would result in a takeoff weight of 497770 lbs app. Given these values we could use a setting of Flaps-18 and also reduce thrust using FLEX 55. Our V-speeds would be: V1 147, Vr 160 and V2 169 knots. We had configured our departure very well mainly using a 10 DME ARC from Nimitz (UNZ) VOR to join the 289 Radial to intersection MOGLE.

OK, we are almost ready for push back in one minute.
[attachment=3075]

After startup we taxied via taxiway Gulf and runway 24L to runway 06L.
[attachment=3076]
[attachment=3077]

Line-up and we are ready to depart.
[attachment=3078]

At 23:10 Zulu time we became airborne.
[attachment=3079]

A final look for the nicely Terminal building of the scenery made by Bill Melichar.
[attachment=3080]

Following runway heading during the initial climb phase.
[attachment=3081]

We had already passed Anderson AFB to the East whilst an E-3C 'Sentry' departed. Unfortunately it was completely covered by surrounding clouds. Cray
[attachment=3082]

A nice picture after we are almost out of the clouds.
[attachment=3083]
[attachment=3084]

Then the flight got somehow 'boring', so we could plan our arrival to Kai Tak. Well, of course we would be flying the legendary Checkerboard approach to RWY 13 and so it looks like on the NAV display:
[attachment=3085]

And so it looks like if we are almost there.
One thing I have to add to the following pictures is that for some reason I have some false landclass files, or better to say watercalss files, as where should be water is land. This really looks ugly and i don't know why. I have this situation since I had to re-install FS9 some time ago. I know that it was OK in August 2008 as I made my very first approach to RWY 13 with such a great scenery. I think it might be even more interesting with the scenery from Flytampa, but since I don't fly to Kai Tak very often the 9 Dragon scenery is the way to go for me.
[attachment=3086]

New Chek Lap Kok in the background and the 'new' water. Rofl
[attachment=3087]
[attachment=3088]

Overflying the new Hong Kong airport.
[attachment=3089]

Flaps-28 and ready to lower the gear and select Flaps-35 and Flaps-50 for the final approach.
[attachment=3090]
[attachment=3091]

It has started to rain now and the clouds are very low now, but there are only few clouds and we already can see the approach lighting system of the IGS 13 system. Note the white dot in the center of the picture.
[attachment=3092]

There is the Checkerboard ahead. We are still on glideslope and on the localizer still on autopilot, but we soon will disengage it and fly it manually.
[attachment=3093]

Then came the really thrilling part of the flight. I still remember the first landing with the B744F into Kai Tak as my hands started to sweat. I had trained the approach before. Not so today and so not only my hands were sweaty. My pulse also increased!
And this wasn't my best approach as I turned a bit too early and came to the right of the centerline almost right next to the runway itself, so I had to correct it two times!
Here before the correction: Too far right and a tad too high as well.
[attachment=3094]

But I managed to correct it and and also touched down in the touch down zone.

Wow, now as we taxi in we can start to relax again.
[attachment=3095]
[attachment=3096]
[attachment=3097]

There is not much traffic any more. I think it was more two and a half year ago as I edited some airline packages from World of AI, but in the meantime these files got overwritten... But at least there is some traffic still going in and out of Kai Tak these daysBiggrin
[attachment=3098]

Mainly flight from Cathay Pacific but some others as well.
[attachment=3099]
[attachment=3100]

There we are now. And 9 Dragons Kai Tak is also supported by AES.
[attachment=3101]
[attachment=3102]

Well, I hope you enjoyed the flight report and the pictures. The actual flying time was 4 hours and 15 minutes and we flew at a Cost Index of 80. Our block-to-block time was 4:35.

Next flight will be TWL0209-11 from Hong Kong to San Francisco and I am planning on making a fuel stop on Wake Island once more Yahoo
To be honest the flight is already in progress Biggrin

Have a great week.
Nice report and pictures Christian!
The 9Dragons scenery is indeed very good for a freeware... got it here somewhere also.. not installed yet.

(02-13-2011, 06:29 PM)TCA2050 Wrote: [ -> ]Nice report and pictures Christian!
The 9Dragons scenery is indeed very good for a freeware... got it here somewhere also.. not installed yet.

Yes, indeed very good for a freeware scenery. Almost better than some payware sceneries Ashamed
Pär asked for some pictures as he intends to make these flights as well and he obviously also will get into old Kai Tak also. If I understood it correct he has the Flytampa scenery. Hopefully he will post some pictures as well.
[/quote]

Yes, indeed very good for a freeware scenery. Almost better than some payware sceneries Ashamed
Pär asked for some pictures as he intends to make these flights as well and he obviously also will get into old Kai Tak also. If I understood it correct he has the Flytampa scenery. Hopefully he will post some pictures as well.
[/quote]

Hi Christian,

Nice pictures. I'm doing my second leg towhere NTAA - Tahiti then I will do the same flight you just did, using stop at Guam. I upload the picture as soon its done, will try to use same RWY and taking pictures close to the area you have.

See U soon
Pär

Hey CB, nice screenshots and report!
(02-14-2011, 07:08 PM)Snowboss Wrote: [ -> ]Hey CB, nice screenshots and report!

Thanks Sandy.