Tradewind Forums

Full Version: North to South epic!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've taken Inspiration and started my "Americas" epic.

From the North of Alaska I'll be travelling to the Southern tip of South America. I'm going to stick close to Mountain ranges as far as possible (for the scenic fun of it!) and using a variety of aircraft - since the aim is to fly VFR I'll use mainly GA/vintage types as the fancy takes me. I'll fly in real world weather (which means I might have to wait for it to clear sometimes!)

So come along with me now on leg 1 of the voyage from Barrow, Alaska to Bettles, Alaska as this journey gets under way.

Overview of Barrow (PABR)
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-13-L.jpg]

An unusual aviation hazard
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-14-L.jpg]

Starting up the Goose in the cold and dark - it's 1000am in this shot!
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-1-L.jpg]

Leaving Barrow behind
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-3-L.jpg]

Goose enroute
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-5-L.jpg]

Approaching the Brooks Range
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-6-L.jpg]

[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-7-L.jpg]

Approaching Bettles (PABT) just before midday with the sun just a few degrees above the horizon
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-8-L.jpg]

Bettles airfield in real world - I made my approach from the other end due to the strong Easterly wind
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-16-L.jpg]

Downwind, gear and flaps down
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-9-L.jpg]

Turning Final
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-10-L.jpg]

Touchdown on the gravel strip
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-11-L.jpg]

Fill her up please!
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-12-L.jpg]

-70F to +93F - talk about extremes!
[Image: Leg1-PABR-PABT-17-L.jpg]

Hope you enjoyed the trip!

SteveThumbup
Hi Steve,

great flight and a big challenge you take.

I have started to ferry one of our helicopters from Anchorage to CuraƧao. It is the Bell 412 from Hovercontrol in Tradewind Helicopters colors. I have departed Anchorage a few days ago and flew to Cordova. Now I am enroute to Yakutat. Maybe we will meet somewhere...Biggrin
Very nice epic Steve!
Will check it all the way