Tradewind Forums

Full Version: North to South legs 9 and 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, 2 legs together this time since both were quite short. First I departed Sitka for Klawock, and then headed east to Ketchikan, making the most of the Tongass and Pacific fjords sceneries. I was a bit worried my helo skills had deteriorated so flew leg 9 in the USCG Dauphin and leg 10 in the Nemeth EC135. I was a bit rusty but it all comes back soon enough!

Ready to go!
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-1-L.jpg]

departing over the marina at Sitka
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-2-L.jpg]

settled into the cruise
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-6-L.jpg]

a bit of mountain flying
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-5-L.jpg]

[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-7-L.jpg]

approach to Klawock
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-8-L.jpg]

setting down on the apron
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-10-L.jpg]

I must admit I find this model of the Dauphin very "twitchy" especially at slow speed or in the hover!

A quick aircraft change to the EC135, and this is my first time flying this and what a beauty she is, responsive and a delight at low speeds.
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-12-L.jpg]

[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-13-L.jpg]

the views are great too!
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-14-L.jpg]

[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-16-L.jpg]

enroute at 2000 feet
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-18-L.jpg]

making the approach
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-20-L.jpg]

slowing down - I missed seeing the helipad which is behind the helicopters tail and was aiming for the stand just visibleAshamed
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-21-L.jpg]

[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-23-L.jpg]

safely down
[Image: N-to-S-9-and-10-22-L.jpg]

With a 7500 foot runway the next leg will be back to fixed wing (a bigger classic prop) though I enjoyed the helicopters so much I'll be back to them occasionally further into the trip!

Thanks for looking!

SteveCloud_9
GREAT pics STeve!
Might have to give that EC135 a try, up to now I haven't been very proficient in getting them to settle down there where I want it ;-)
Hi Steve.

Well, again some very nice shots. And yes Stefaan, helicopter flying can be really challenging when it comes to landing.